Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tricks up my sleeve....

This is definitely one for the books! Yesterday I pulled a little trick on mom. I locked her out of the house! Here's what happened. She was making dinner and I was watching a cartoon. She had chicken on the grill and went out on our back deck to flip it. It was going to take no more than 15 seconds but.....as soon as she went out I flipped the lock on the screen door. She went to come back in and there I stood grinning at her through the door. You see normally this wouldn't be too big of a deal but at this particular time it was.

We have a keypad garage door opener outside that usually works but mom had to get her car fixed a couple weeks ago and had a rental car. Mom's car has a garage door opener built in that you program to work with your garage door. Dad has a control in his car and there is a third control that wasn't working. When Mom had the rental she tried to get the third control working and when she did that she cleared the programming for the keypad opener and the one in her car. Neither her or Dad had taken the time to re-program it yet so that was out.

An extra key? Again, usually Mom and Dad have an extra key hidden outside but the old hiding spot was stuck under the grill. Well we recently got a new grill and gave our old one away. But before we gave it away neither Mom or Dad thought to take the extra key out from underneath the grill....so no key hidden outside.

She gave it her best attempt to get me to unlock the screen door - I had no idea what she was saying and shut the inside door. She knew I couldn't open that by myself so she had to come up with a new plan. It was about the time Dad would usually be coming home from work but he had a meeting to go to and she wasn't sure when he'd be coming.

It had been raining all day and she was outside barefoot so she ran through the muddy, wet grass to the neighbors house. Our next door neighbor, Aaron came out to try and help Mom get back in the house and he let Mom use his cell phone to call dad. After a few unsuccessful ideas Aaron went to the front of the house to see if a window was open. None were open but one was unlocked. He popped the screen off, slid the window open and I was right there to greet Mom, Aaron, his wife and son with the biggest grin on my face as if I was saying "How did you like that trick?" :)

Mom really wasn't too worried about me getting into any trouble in there, she said I'm usually a pretty good boy, but she just wasn't sure what to do.

I was out, Dad came home shortly after that and dinner was served. :)

No comments: